The High Peak Hunt was established in 1848 by Mr Thornhill of Stanton-in-the-Peak. He laid the foundations of his kennel with the hounds from the Marquess of Stafford’s. Mr Nesfield of Castle Hill, Bakewell, who was agent to the Duke of Rutland, bred chiefly from Sir T Boughey’s and Colonel Fane’s packs and later used Belvoir, Badsworth and Milton blood.
He hunted for 32 seasons, and the hounds remained his property until they were dispersed in 1901. In that year, Colonel Robertson-Aikman bought his own pack of hounds from Scotland. He hunted the country until 1910, when his hounds were presented to the Dove Valley country.
Walter C Tinsley took over the High Peak Hunt in 1910 and brought with him 16 couple of his own hounds from the Dove Valley. Mr Tinsley hunted the country, often under great difficulties, until 1920, when he retired and presented his hounds to the Hunt Committee. Since then the pack has been bred entirely as Stud Book Harriers, and has featured prominently at the Peterborough Festival of Hunting, Rydal Hound Show, Great Yorkshire Show and Honiton.